Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dear Diary It Only Took 7 years....

Look at these, makes me want to wear an old timey unitard
 and grow a mustache!
For me to finally give in and do Kettlebells with my husband.  If my sister in law is reading this, she is probably laughing her a** off riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight now!  Now let me take you back (Cue Wayne's World back in time waviness)...Jonathan and I had one of our first Christmas' together and I honestly don't recall what I bought him but I am sure it was awesome.  However, I do remember what he got me....I was there as my husband's family looked upon me as I ripped open his carefully wrapped gift(if you count duct taping a paperbag as carefully wrapped), the anticipation was high and then tada there it was...a kettlebell workout book for Women, in all it's homemade spiral bound glory!  Seriously it looked like it was "published" at Kinko's.  Jonathan's mom and sister looked on in horror after this and yelled at him for getting me this present.  Now anyone who knows my husband knows he meant well because I was saying how I wanted to get into an exercise routine buuuuuuuuuuuut advice to all you newlywed husbandsor boyfriends out there DO NOT GET YOUR WIFE/GIRLFRIEND A WORKOUT BOOK OR DVD FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!  I know intentions are good but just spend your  money on other things like diamonds or more diamonds.  So ever since that fiasco I have resisted jumping on the kettlebell band wagon.  My husband has done it for 7 years and I think he pretty much is the hipster of workouts, he always does things before it becomes popular, hence kettlebells and tire flipping and sledgehammering, yeah he is not normal, nor does he do normal workouts.  So I decided to amp up my workouts because its important to not only do cardio but strength training, its important!  So FINALLY I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 My husband decided to start off slow not go into full kettlebell routine but do circuit training.  Okay let me break it down to you what it is....First I asked my husband "What is circuit training?" and the said "It's like doing Horses in sports" and then we both laughed because he knew I was never nor will I ever be athletic or in sports!  He proceeded to describe what you do in a circuit, and my eyes grew bigger and bigger in horror!  This truly was EXORCISE! My mind went into over load and I thought "I do what,SPRINTS, what then I do WHAT?! Squats, Then Sprints again, Then Dead lifts, Then Sprints, Then Lunges, Then Sprints, Then overhead presses, Then Sprints and do it all over again, 2 more TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Now when I say sprints you sprint back and forth to 3 different points you set up for your circuit training.  OH MY GOD, I am asthmatic and I have to run this equals bad.  All I know is I started off fine and then it ended with me chunking the kettlebell into the bushes (well almost not really since it was 40 lbs and I could barely life it over my head!).  I could only do it 2 times and that was a struggle!  Then I was exhausted and I felt fine but exhausted.  Oh but it gets better folks.
So the next day I was sore and I mean SORE!  I did squats like never before, he made me do full squats not the half a**ed ones I used to do at 24 hour fitness classes.  I wanted to rest but Jonathan had other things in mind.  Jonathan thought, "Oh hey since I tortured my wife with circuit training and she needs to keep her muscles moving so they wont get lactic acid buildup I WILL HAVE HER WALK UP KENNESAW MOUNTAIN!!!! " Yeah granted its not a very tall mountain but it is still a mountain!  He didn't have me walk around Piedmont Park no he said let's go to Kennesaw!  OH MY GOD, it is worse when your limbs are sore!  But I didn't give up I went all the way with my asthma!  Yay me!  I don't know if I will ever do that again.  I will definitely do circuit training again but I will not follow up the next day by going up Stone Mountain or any mountain.  Now I am going to go pass out on the couch...

4 comments:

stacy strausborger said...

Might I suggest working with a personal trainer, other than your husband...ask about foam rolling(if they don't know what this is go to a different trainer) it will hurt the first few time, but you won't be sore.

Delena said...

That's my plan Stacy, I am going to look for a personal trainer, Jonathan encouraged that I do so, to save our marriage, ha! Jk-kidding Jk-kidding.

Carol said...

yikes, thats quite a workout!

Dahnya said...

a. LOVE the baby del pic!
b. love the new layout!
c. COULD NOT stop laughing imagining your kettle bell christmas- there's a reason our hubs are friends...this has happened too many times with fran.
d. go you for getting on the workout train! keep at it!! :)